If you already know that you are going to travel to Mallorca and you want to rent a car to drive around the island at your own pace, one of the first things you should do is to find out if your driving license is valid to drive in Mallorca or if you need to obtain an international license.
Valid driving licences in Mallorca
The requirements for driving in Mallorca depend mainly on the country from which you are traveling. Driving licences issued in countries of the European Union and the European Economic Area (Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) are valid, as long as they are in force.
In addition, they are also valid under certain conditions:
- Permits from other countries that are written in Spanish or accompanied by an official translation.
- Those recognised by international conventions to which Spain is a party.
Specifically, Spain has bilateral agreements with the following countries: Andorra, Algeria, Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, South Korea, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Japan, Morocco, Nicaragua, Peru, Dominican Republic, Panama, Paraguay, Uruguay, Brazil, El Salvador, Philippines, Guatemala, Serbia, Switzerland, Turkey, Tunisia, Ukraine and Macedonia.
⚠️ However, bear in mind that these agreements may change, so if you come from a country outside the European Union or the European Economic Area, we advise you to obtain an international permit in your country or ask directly at the consulate.
What is an international permit?
The International Driving Permit is an additional travel document that many countries require, in addition to a national driving licence, which allows you as a tourist to drive in a foreign country. In addition, you should know that:
- The international licence is not valid on its own, so it must always be accompanied by your driving licence from your home country.
- It is a temporary permit, valid for one year, so initially it is only valid for travel. If your idea is to move to another country, you should find out about the requirements.
- The international permit is accepted in practically every country in the world, so it will be useful for your trip to Mallorca and other possible destinations during the year that it is in force.
- It avoids possible difficulties that may arise because the original permits are in languages other than the official languages of the island.
Find out in your home country, at the offices where driver’s licences are issued. There you will be informed of the requirements, necessary procedures and fees that you will have to pay to obtain your international licence and drive in Mallorca without complications.
Rent a car in Mallorca
Have you not yet booked your rental car to get around Mallorca? Take a look at the car rental comparator that we provide you with. Using a comparator ensures that you will always find the best car rental deals in Mallorca and at the cheapest prices.
Pick up your car at Palma Airport as soon as you get off the plane to Mallorca or at the office you selected when you made your booking: